Saturday 13 September 2014

THE BEST MATTE LIPSTICK AROUND?


I struggle to find a Matte lipstick formula that i like. Most of them are too drying and stripping on my lips, no matter what lip balm i use beforehand. I've tried out some blogger favorites such as the Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencils, and although the colors are beautiful, they just don't work for me without some kind of balm underneath - defeating the matte purpose. So whenever i see something new on the market, i'm interested to see how it would work for me.

The other day i was taking a look around Liberty's beauty hall, when i came across this new brand i've never heard of or seen before: Surratt. I had a chat with the salesman on the counter, and he explained to me that this brand was started by the famous makeup artist Troy Surratt, and is exclusive to Liberty London. Troy believes in using the highest quality ingredients for his makeup, so he started manufacturing his products in Japan. Of course i looked around and swatched many things, but i was most interested in the Matte Automatique Lip Crayons (£24).


Aside from the beautifully sleek packaging, the salesman assured me that these matte formulas are non drying and i wouldn't feel them on my lips at all. So much so, that he said when Mr Surratt himself tested them out, he cried because the formulas were so perfect. Now if that hasn't sold you, i don't know what will. I gave in, and purchased one in the color 4 Megalomane, which is a classic, slightly blue undertoned, standout red.


I tried it on the very next day, and was extremely pleased with the result. It does exactly what it says on the tin: matte finish, long lasting, and non-drying. I'm not sure about the 'not feeling it on your lips' thing, as i was very aware of having it on, but then again, i'm not sure i'll ever find one that i don't feel at all. Alas, i am still not prepared to call this my most favorite matte lipstick EVER, but its definitely rekindled my hope for the perfect formula.

What are some of your favorites? I'd love to hear why, and maybe test them out for myself.

6 comments :

  1. Love a bold red lip, this looks gorgeous!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's such a timeless statement :)

      Delete
  2. I don't bother myself with buying a matte lipstick, just get any lipstick you like, if you want it matte just add some translucent loose powder to ur lips and it turns matte ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! That's a handy trick, but unfortunately i don't love the feeling of powder on my lips, especially since they can be quite dry. Lucky if it doesn't bother you though!

      Delete
  3. Are you quite matte about it? Okay, I'll stop. Let me know when you're wearing this so I can take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete